Why don’t you go back to the UK?

Every year white South Africans leave in their thousands. They immigrate overseas searching for a better future for their children and to build better lives for themselves. They leave because of the high levels of unemployment, rising crime, political unrest and a government we can’t rely on.

So why I am the only one swimming down stream?

It’s not easy to be here either. Believe it or not you can’t just come live here without the right visa or right of abode.  There is lots of red tape and little guidance on how to navigate the system. Anyone who has ever been to Home Affairs knows just how painful any type of government admin can be.

It took me 7 years of struggle to get my permanent residence. Blood sweat and tears. But it was worth it!

I am from England (Essex to be precise) and my husband is from Cape Town. We both agree that we would never live in a place where we don’t have any family. Family and Friends are so important to us. So we only have the choice of the two places - Essex and Cape Town, and right now Cape Town wins.

 Here’s why

  • The sun shines for 9 months of the year 
  • Its mind bogglingly beautiful
  • My husband has started his own business which he is running very successfully
  • I am lucky enough to have a good, stable job that I love
  • We have a BEAUTIFUL home which I never take for granted. It is much bigger than we could ever afford in England and we have a Pool!
  • Our kids are growing up in the fresh air, climbing trees, swimming in the ocean, playing in the sand. Not stuck indoors playing computer games.
  • We want to raise our children with good values who appreciate the simple things in life. London is very consumer driven.
  • The government schools in our area specifically are very good.
  • We are lucky enough to afford private medical care, which is some of the highest standard in the world. My heart breaks for the strain on the beloved NHS back home.
  • Our support network is second to none. My new South African family have welcomed me as part of them and I have made true best friends for life that I cannot imagine living without.
  • I do believe that there is a future for this country. The people of South Africa are good and good will prevail.
  • We are having so much fun. Life is full of adventures and outings and sunshine.
  • I am content. I am grateful. I’m not looking to make millions. I just want to enjoy my life and make sure my kids are happy.
  • I am learning a lot about myself and growing all the time.
  • oh and the Wine is amazing!  

Everyone is on their own path and fighting their own battles. For many people it makes sense to leave and explore the world. But the future of this country is in our hands. Every person that decides to stay and contributes to the economy is doing their bit.  So if you are staying too, don’t feel like you are missing out, focus on the positives and do what you can to make a difference in your community. Cherish this wonderful country and tell the world how great it can be!


Disclaimer for the haters - I wrote this as a lone voice of positivity at a time when many South Africans are questioning their future and looking for a way out. I am also very conscious that my opinions come from a place of white privilege but it is not my intention to brag or offend anyone. I just want to share my positive thoughts and do my bit to uplift this beautiful country! 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

How did I end up here?